This Archive of titles contains publications by Steven E. Mayer, Ph.D, listed in alphabetical order. Some were published while with the Effective Communities Project. Some are from his previous tenure as founding executive director of Rainbow Research, Inc. Some were published with co-authors. This is a work in progress – only about 20% of his work is currently uploaded to this site.
Posts that introduce, clarify, or present through the lens of contemporary opportunities are presented in Articles, a different tab on the Home page. These Articles intend to address the interests of these four audiences: Social Justice / Effective Philanthropy / Program Evaluation / Nonprofit Management / Community Development.
- A “Dignity Gap”
- A Classic Revived!
- A Consumers Union for Social Services?
- A Drive-by Evaluation of the State of the Union
- A Fundable Goal For Advocacy: Build Strong Networks of Support for Solutions
- A Model for Community-Based Youth Leadership Development
- A Pointed Attack On Inequity
- A Statement of Values, Accomplishments, and Intentions of the Twin Cities Neighborhood Movement
- After a Crisis: Opportunities for Community Development and System Change
- Can Grantmakers and Nonprofits Work Together?
- Can Philanthropy Create Greater Racial Equity and Social Justice?
- Capacity Building for Nonprofits
- CF – The Magazine for Growing Community Foundations
- Chapter 1 – The Untold Story of Who Benefits From Nonprofit Programs
- Community Development
- Community Philanthropy in Central and Eastern Europe
- Community Philanthropy: Strategies for Impacting Vulnerable Populations
- Could Institutional Philanthropy Follow Prince’s Example?
- Education Works Only When Justice and Economics Work
- Effective Philanthropy
- Effective Philanthropy: Making a Difference (#1)
- Evaluating “Occupy Wall Street”
- Evaluating “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness”
- Even Simple Measures Have Problems…
- Every Measure of Success Serves Someone’s Vision of Success
- The “Good particle”
- The Assets Model of Community Development
- The Confluence of “Philanthropy, Justice, and Evaluation”
- The Corrupting Power of Numbers
- The Meaning of “Social Justice”
- The Mittenthal Principle
- The Mittenthal Principle – Too Complicated For the Average Grantmaker?
- The Way We Think About Charity Is Dead Wrong
- There Is An “I” In Philanthropy
- Tools For Moving Philanthropy